Where I’m at now.
Last week I had an idea to complete a character sheet for Red. I’ve been wanting to do one for her in a while and haven’t been able to get around to it. Last week I also had an assignment to add text to an image in my Computer Art class, so I thought I’d knock two birds with one stone. 🙂
This is my starting point. I created some placeholder text and added some head shots/head turn-around I had of her to add a little interest and fill some page space. Not really thinking design at this point, just looking to get started and adding the elements I want to incorporate.
I started to think a little larger and decided that I’d like to create a full two page spread, one page just seemed to random and to fragmented. So, I extended my canvas in Photoshop (Note: usually if I was creating a page layout I’d be using InDesign, it’s specifically made for such projects and has features that make the whole process, but because I initially wanted to make this for my Computer Art class I used Photoshop because that’s the program we’re required to use) and added one of my larger images of Red.
This is where I really started thinking about design, I broke out my Magazines and started looking for inspiration on how they broke up the page elements like page numbers, headers, etc.
I saw this half-tone background in one of the tutorials and thought it’d be a good fit, so I threw that in there and then started working with the character introduction text to try to get some depth by separating all the elements some how.
At this point I also decided that the splash image I was using for the first page wasn’t working. Conceptually, it felt too emo and seemed to be too emotionally different in tone than the full body image on the second page. Looking at it from a design aspect her looking off to the left brought the attention away from the second page instead of towards it. After looking at it for a while I knew it wasn’t working and decided to place a temporary filler image until I figured out what to do.
After arranging and re-arranging elements for quite some time I ended up with this layout. I ended up axing the multiple head shots, it just didn’t feel appropriate for this introduction spread. This is more like the, “hey check out this character, her name is… here’s a little information about her…” and then they would turn the page and then probably see a front, back, and three quarters shot, and then maybe a head turn-around or some facial expressions.
So, I stuck with something a little simpler. It was also at this stage that my teacher told me that this wasn’t going to work for my assignment and I started working on Science Blows Me Away… 🙁
So, the image I’ve been working on has been for this splash page and this is where I’m at with it right now. Still some work to do on both the character and the design. I also have to change the hairstyle on the full body image to the current style of the splash image.
“Your dreams won’t work unless you do.” -Unknown